last night at RUF my dad came and preached about the gibeonites. now, at dinner, when I am asked him what he was preaching about and he said, "the gibeonites" I said... "ohhhh cool, dad", because I had no idea what a gibeonite was. at that time, I had no idea who the gibeonites were and how much I was going to learn from then.
so my dad waltzed right on in to RUF and did a fantastic job. He quickly charmed the crowd with his quick wit and sweater vest, and now all my friends won't stop talking about how cool he is. props to you dad.
his talk was title, "what's your status?" and the basic point that I took from it was that God doesn't meet us on our terms. He doesn't do treaties. He's not just supposed to be "there for you" like a best friend, he's supposed to be the one who puts you there, and we are supposed to trust in why. lately I have been asking God, WHY alot. and thankfully, he has revealed in my heart, that it's not why. we can ask God why, why, why all day, and we might never get an answer. instead of asking God, why, we should be surrendering those whys to his will and what he wants to do with us. the problem is, that's it's not easy. in fact, it's really really hard. the beautiful and liberating thing, is that we can't. we can't do anything good. we might love our whole house, and we might love our mom, and our hair, and our allisons, but we certainly cannot do anything good. God has us in His hand, and he will take care of us. He gives us a heart that relies on him, He gives us a desire to serve him, He does everything. how humbling. In his perfect grace, even when we are weak, because of him, we are strong.
our prayer should be like that of the Gibeonites.
Joshua 9:25
"And now, behold, we are in your hand. Whatever seems good and right in your sight to do to us, do it."
and guess what, He's got us. and He's not going to let us go.
Hymm for thought:
Abide With Me
Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;The darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide;
When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, oh, abide with me.
Swift to its close ebbs out life’s little day;
Earth’s joys grow dim, its glories pass away;
Change and decay in all around I see—
O Thou who changest not, abide with me.
I need Thy presence every passing hour;
What but Thy grace can foil the tempter’s pow’r?
Who, like Thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Through cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me.
I fear no foe, with Thee at hand to bless;
Ills have no weight, and tears no bitterness;
Where is death’s sting? Where, grave, thy victory?
I triumph still, if Thou abide with me.
Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes;
Shine through the gloom and point me to the skies;
Heav’n’s morning breaks, and earth’s vain shadows flee;
In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment