Sunday, January 2, 2011

you make beautiful things

this past week, I had the chance to be a counselor at my youth group's christmas conference in gatlinburg. I went on this trip, not really expecting much, but God surprised me.

we watched this video (downnn) and it really changed my perspective on a lot of things.

it got me thinking a lot about what I am doing with my life, technically right now, I am a pre-graphic design major, changing though to a public relations major, specializing in event planning. don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with graphic design, I encourage all you super artsy people to go and rock it, and there is nothing wrong with pr, but the question was, when did I ask God what I need to be doing. after watching that video I really got to thinking about how in college, what every girl wants is to marry a doctor/ lawyer and live in a beautiful house in a mountain brookish area, have three perfect kids who all wear crew cuts from jcrew, 2 beautiful dogs, a lake house, a beach house, a pathfinder big enough for car seats but still cool looking, and tons of money so I can be that newly wed, or mom, that dresses super cute. all sounds pretty good right? heck yeah it does! and I have totally fallen for all of this, next semester, I was going to start hanging out by the math and science building to start meeting guys who were pre-med. (desperate?) so when the speaker started talking about the american dream, I thought it all sounded really good, BUT more importantly is that it sounded comfortable. the truth is, that this path of pleasure is not satisfying. the world is not going to fill you up, there's always going to be a little bit more. I've come to the conclusion that yeah, I'm in college and I'm an undecided major, but I'm there seeking God.

I want to help further the kingdom of God, I don't know how, I don't know where, and I don't know when, but it's ok! because God does, and he has a plan. it might not be comfortable, and it probably will be scary, but I KNOW that it will be more satisfying than anything I could ever ask for. one great big adventure.
He makes beautiful things out of dust, He makes beautiful things out of us.






No comments:

Post a Comment