productivity is a beautiful thing that God created for us human folk, so that we would get things accomplished. He wants us to be 'productive'. to be good stewards of our time, to use it wisely..
thus creates a problem. if God created it, there must be an evil counterpart, because well, ask adam why.
enter procrastination, stage left.
I like to picture procrastination as a little red demon that sits on your shoulder and whispers in your ears sweet nothings. literally, procrastination, tells you about all these 'things' that you should be doing instead of what you want/need to be doing, but really they are nothing. so you end up doing nothing, instead of being productive, and all the while, productivity (don't act like you don't know whats coming, you all remember krunk in the emperors new groove) the little white angel on your other shoulder is practically shouting out to you those things that you need to be doing, but do you hear them? do you? DO YOU? no. all you hear is your old familiar friend, proCRAPtination whispering sweet nothings in you ear.
sucks right? well let me be the first to tell you that it sucks to suck. but, not today. today, it did not suck to suck. in fact, I did something that frankly does not suck.
I mastered productivity.
yep. you heard it here first, be expecting many ample tweets, and news stories about it. I'm pretty sure CNN and the Today Show, will have a special on me in no time at all. and then, maybe if I'm lucky enough, I'll be on 60 minutes.
but seriously, I mastered it.
as a college student, I have found myself a slave to procrastination. but not today. today, I did not fall to procrastination, in fact, I mastered productivity.
let me explain, today is sunday, which marks the beginning of finals week, and the biggest, only real important thing I need to do is study. it is at the very top of my list, and today, that is the only thing I needed to do. procrastination was heavily breathing down my neck, but I would not let it win. the twist is, that I did absolutely no studying.
crazy right? you may be confused/amazed/astonished/ jealous you can't be more like me, I seem to have that effect on people. let me explain.
today, instead of being a slave to procrastination, and doing nothing, I was super productive, by doing 100 different productive things besides studying.
still confused? let me make this easier.
I got back from church with all intentions to go straight to the library, I went in my room, got ready, and then saw on my desk my new hammock I got for my birthday. it hadn't been used yet, and it's just so pretty, and I needed to make sure it worked ok, so i took all my stuff and went outside to the secret place by the hill (another blog post for another day), and set up my hammock and got in and got ready to study.

well then, I realized that I needed a good playlist on my itunes with music to hammock to, so I spent about an hour and a half, but I made possibly the greatest hammock playlist this side of the mississippi has ever seen. then I began to study, and my computer died, so I needed to charge it. I went inside, plugged the great gatsby up (new name for my computer.. just trying it out, don't know if I like the ring of it), and sat to study when I realized that I hadn't really gotten to use my new birthday phone that much, and I needed to figure it out and help it reach its full potential, so I played with that for a while and got really good at using it. then when I sat down to study, I realized I was hungry, (typical right?) and I needed to eat the leftovers in my refrigerator. then I got my computer to study and noticed that my eyebrows needed to be shaped so I fixed them, and boy do they look good, even if I have a lazy eye and one is slightly higher. then I was going to study, and cody texted me to eat dinner, and I needed to see her, it had been too long so I ate dinner with her. and then finally, I went to the student center, and began to actually study.
now, while all that sounds ridiculous, it was all actually things that needed to get done. therefore, I mastered productivity by procrastinating with things that are productive, thus being productive while procrastinating, thus redefining procrastination making it productivity, thus making me the master of productivity.
now I have an awesome hammock playlist, a great recipe for dorm cooked sandwiches (i am still a woman), a cool ringtone on my phone, good looking eyebrows, and free coke from abp. all of these things can only enhance my studying.
let this be encouragement to all of you out there studying for finals, feeling the chains and bondage of procrastination, if I can master productivity, you probably can't too, but you can be productive which is like not anywhere near as great, but still great.
best of luck my friends/ followers,
the master of productivity.
from the desk of the master of productivity, kit stallings.
No comments:
Post a Comment