Sunday, April 17, 2011

break a rib

ever heard the phrase, "break a leg!!" before a performance? well, I am here to tell you that they got that phrase totally wrong. it absolutely should be, "break a RIB!!!" because I am a living, breathing, witness that this actually brings good luck.
lately, because of the blooming of alabama, my allergies have caught up to me triggering my asthma, and I have been coughing like a chain smoker. seriously, I could probably write a whole blog post that reads, "cough, cough, cough cough cough, cough cough, cough, cough," etc. so anyway, because I had been coughing, my lungs have expanded, causing them to get bigger/ inflamed, and bump up against my rib cage. crazy right? well it gets better. the other night, we were practicing our greeksing dance, and it was bothering me pretty bad, but I'm tough, so I kept going. bad choice, because in one dramatic part, we go down, and let me tell you, I went down.
as I bent I felt something inside of me tear a little bit, and then from there it was all pain. pain, pain, sooooo much pain!!! (sound familiar?) but seriously it hurt. I couldn't breathe, and I couldn't bend over, and I wouldn't stop coughing which hurt like bad, and I was crying because it hurt so bad, so I couldn't breathe right, it was all just bad. so we decided I needed to go to the hospital.
thankfully I have wonderful friends in leslie, kate, and kathleen, who were so kind to take me to the hospital at 10 o'clock at night.
we arrived and I waited, and waited, until finally I was able to go to the back. unfortunately alone. so I walked to the back, and they gave me a hospital gown, which took me 10 minutes to put on and when the doctor asked why it was taking so long, he was surprised that I had never put one on because I apparently don't come to the ER as often I should, and then I was taken IN A WHEELCHAIR, cool right? check that off my list, to be xrayed, which hurt so so bad. when I was WHEELED back to my room, the doctor came in and was like "WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN??" apparently, he didn't know I was getting xrayed, and he thought he had lost me. He went to my friends in the waiting room and asked if they had seen me, obviously they hadn't so they also thought he had lost me somewhere in the hospital. quality doctors at the east alabama med clinic. quality.
after a little while they concluded that I only had torn cartilage, nbd right?, and my bones weren't broken, just really really close. so the doctor gave me some meds and said stay in the bed for the next few days and dont put any more stress on it. well, the problem was that greeksing was the next day.
I rode home with melanie, who came to the hospital because she is so precious, and we went to mcdonalds and got a mighty kids meal. by then the heavy meds were kicking in so I went and got in the bed.
the next day, I slept in, and woke up feeling sore, but better. melanie came and picked me up so we could go get my prescription filled. we went to cvs, then to hibachi for lunch, then to verizon wireless to get melanie's cool hipster new iphone. after that we went to the mall and got a great american cookie. then it was time for greeksing.
I arrived at the chapter room a little nervous, but I got ready, looked awesome, and then we headed over to the arena.
needless to say, the actual greeksing experience was exciting. there were so so so many people there, my mom and my little sister came all the way from birmingham. and all of the dances were so great, you could definitely see how hard each sorority had been working. now I won't go into to all the details of who got jipped, and what sorority should have one, and which dance was totally overrated, and which ones creeped me out. all that really matters is when they got on stage to announce the winners, we weren't expecting anything. dont get me wrong, we wanted to place, but everything is just SO political and AOII doesn't normally place, well they haven't the last 22 years. so we sat excited to hear about which sorority would win, again, and then. something beautiful happened. all of our hard work, sweat, and torn cartilage paid off when they announced....
"4th Place...... Alpha Omicron Pi"

the whole sorority erupted as brandi and sydney, our fearless leaders, went up to the stage to claim our trophy. we were so excited. completely ecstatic. first time to place in 22 years. incredible.

all in all, the whole experience was so fun. brandi and sydney really did a great job, and had ALOT of patience putting up with those of us who have no dance experience. and I thought we did a great job, you can watch the video here. and there was so much love from aoii, everyone was so encouraging and proud.

with our trophy!!


















our cute outfits. and me with cute grace devaney who was a bird for the evening.






was it worth it? I would say yes, but my torn cartilage might think otherwise.
break a rib!

No comments:

Post a Comment